Rivers and Dams | Mining | Subdivisions and rezonings | Tourism Projects | Telecom, Power, Oil, Gas, Wind | State Roads | Rivercare and Catchment Plans | Fire Management Plans | Bushcare Plans | Regional Studies / Strategic Plans | Monitoring Projects | Forestry and Forest Conservation | Weeds | Department of Defence
Rivers and Dams
- Elizabeth River Chimney Hill 2004-2005
- Bluemans Creek, Swansea 2003-2005
- St Pauls Dam St Pauls River, 2003
- Jordan River- Values report, 2004
- Little Swanport River. Environmentals flows research, 2005
- Benham Dam, 2010
- Meander Dam 2002 DPIW Epacris exserta research and Spotted – tailed quoll management plan and PAMA.
- Bluemans Creek Swansea (NSS) 2003. Flora and fauna assessment.
- Henty Hydro Scheme Lukes Marsh (NSS) 2003. Flora and fauna assessment.
- Parramatta Crk Dam proposal (SKM) 2004 Flora and fauna assessment.
- Coles Bay Water Supply (SKM/Federal) 2004 Flora and fauna assessment.
- Little Swanport River (DPIWE) 2004 River condition research and development of assessment methods.
- Chimney Hill Dam Elizabeth River (NSS) 2005. Flora and fauna assessment. Offsets analysis.
- Meander Dam 2005 (Rivers and Water Supply Commission) Vegetation Condition Assessment and offsets.
- Jordan River 2005 (National Water Initiative) River condition research.
- Headquarters Rd Dam Proposal (NSS) 2006. Flora and fauna assessment.
- Meadstone Dam St Pauls River (DPIWE) 2006. Flora and fauna assessment. Offsets analysis and proposals.
- Boobyalla River Dam Proposal (DEDG) 2006. Flora and fauna assessment.
- Great Musselroe River Dam Proposal (DPIWE) 2008. Flora and fauna assessment.
- St Patricks River Dam Proposal (DEDG) 2008. Flora and fauna assessment.
- Brid River Dam Proposal (DPIWE) 2009. Flora and fauna assessment.
- Brid River Dam Proposal (DPIWE) 2009. Flora and fauna assessment.
- South Esk Pipeline (TIDB) 2009. Flora and Fauna Assessment.
- Macquarie River Dams (TIDB) 2009. Flora and Fauna Assessment
- Shannon River pipeline Dungrove (TIDB) 2009. Flora and Fauna Assessment
- South Esk Pipeline (TIDB) 2009. Flora and Fauna Assessment
- Whitemore Irrigation Scheme (TIDB) 2009 Flora and Fauna Assessment.
- Great Forester River Dam Proposal (DPIWE) 2010. Flora and fauna assessment.
- Oxberry Proposal (DPIWE) 2010. Flora and fauna assessment.
- Tomohawk River Dam Proposal (DPIWE) 2010. Review of previous survey and update Vegetation mapping.
- Clyde Shannon Irrigation Scheme (TIDB) 2010. Flora and Fauna Assessment
- Whitemore Irrigation Scheme (TIDB) 2010 Chytrid and Green and gold frog assessments.
- Maryvale Dam (TIDB) 2010 Flora and Fauna Assessment.
- Emergency Pipeline Campbell Town (TIDB) 2010 Flora and Fauna Assessment.
- Kindred Irrigation Scheme (TIDB) 2010 Flora and Fauna Assessment.
- Musselroe Dam (TIDB) 2010 Flora and Fauna Assessment.
- Winnaleah Irrigation Scheme - (TIDB) 2010. Flora and Fauna Assessment and preparation of referral documentation.
- National Water Initiative (2010) CFEV Verification and TRCI critique and condition assessment.
- Midlands Irrigation Scheme - Arthurs Lake Pipeline (TI) 2010 Flora and Fauna Assessment. (with Entura)
- South East Irrigation Scheme (TI) 2010 Flora and Fauna Assessment. (with Entura)
- Savage River Tailings dam and pipeline (Grange Resources) 2012 Flora and Fauna Assessment and preparation of referral documentation.
- Roseberry Mine Tailings dam and pipeline (Grange Resources) 2014. Flora and Fauna Assessment.
- Duck River Irrigation Scheme 2016 – Mill Creek Dam Flora and Fauna Assessment
- Princes Creek tailings dam scheme Mt Lyell Copper Mine, 1995
- Cornwall Coal Open Cut Rehabilitation, 1996
- Beaconsfield Gold Mine Tailings Dam, 1997
- TEMCo Quarry, Beaconsfield, 1997, 2001
- Cullenswood Mine, Cornwall, 1999
- David Mitchell Limestone Quarry Mole Creek, 2000
- Avebury Nickel Mine 2003, 2005
- Mt Bischoff Open Cut, 2005
- Boral Flowerpot Quarry, Beaconsfield 2005
- Flaggstaff Gully Quarry, Pioneer Concrete 2005
- Hellyer Tailings Dam, Worley Parsons, 2005
- Savage River Tailings Dam, ABM, 2006
- Barnes Hill and Mt Vulcan - Beaconsfield Nickel Laterite Resource, Proto Resources & Investments, 2008-2010
- Delta Materials Rock Quarry Exploration License, Bell Bay, 2009
- Nelson River Mine, Shree Minerals, 2011
- Mt Lindsay, Stanley River & Riley Creek Mines, Venture Minerals, 2010 - 2012
- Savage River Main Creek Tailings Dam, Grange Resources, 2010 - 2012
- Savage River old dam thickened tailings project, Grange Resources, 2012
- Burns Peak, Mancala Mining, 2012
Generally these have involved on ground vegetation surveys documenting and recording flora, mapping vegetation communities and assessing the habitat suitability for threatened species. The information has been prepared for inclusion into DPEMP. Input has been made in some instances to the DPEMP themselves. In some instances we have undertaken or coordinated targeted surveys of freshwater systems, eagle nest searches, sampling for plant pathogens such as Phytophthora and preparing weed management and rehabilitation plans.
Subdivisions and rezonings
Extensive experience covering almost every municipality in Tasmania assessing environmental impacts of subdivision and development proposals.
Major projects include:
White Water Creek, Kingborough Municpal Council 2015 - 2016
More than 250 lots were approved around a centre piece of public open space that protects remants of the local black gum forest for the endangered swift parrot.
Moorville Road Burnie, Burnie City Council 2014
A five stage subdivision. The project required the protection of some habitat for burrowing crayfish.
Greens Beach, West Tamar Council 2014
Large multi staged coastal residential subdivision.
Pass Road, Clarence City Council,
Lynmore Holdings 2003-06
300 plus lot subdivision and rezoning application. Approved by RPDC Feb 2006. The proposal will conserve a large population of rare chocolate lilies under a conservation covenant and include improved management of the bushland through weed control. An important stand of black gums will be added to Council reserve enhancing the conservation of habitat for the endangered swift parrot.
Oceana Drive and Droughty Pt Rd, Clarence City Council,
R. Howie 2003-06
A 200 ha rezoning and multi staged subdivision. Approved by RPDC Feb 2006. The proposal will include the rehabilitation and protection of significant vegetation communities including the retention of the skyline. A saltmarsh will also be protected and managed in coordination with local Landcare Group. NBA have coordinated the provision of Forest Practices Plan including threatened species permit to facilitate vegetation clearance for part of the subdivision
Rokeby Hills Clarence City Council, Malwood 1991-2006
Approximately 100 lots have been implemented in early stages. Later stages , requiring rezoning, are being planned for which NBA have developed with Malwood generous offsets that will protect key forest communities, notably risdon peppermint and blue gum, and threatened species habitat. NBA have consulted with the Landcare Group to ensure local community involvement and support.
Summerleas Rd, Kingborough Council 2004
A 200 lot subdivision which required the clearance of isolated forest community and 90 black gums. NBA have developed with the client an offset strategy in consultation with local Council and State Regulating agencies. The proponents will fund the ex situ conservation to the sum $90 000 for the purchase and management of more intact and viable stands of black gum forest in line with conservation strategies developed by North Barker for black gum forest in Kingborough. NBA prepared successful permit referral to Commonwealth Department of Environment & Heritage.
Brinsmead Road Mt Nelson, Hobart 2004
This is a small subdivision (6 lots) on land adjoining an area of open space. The site supported native vegetation that varied significantly in its integrity. NBA developed a significance map based on habitat hectares scoring vegetation on condition and context. This identified a positive outcome that focused development on the least significant area and provided land for Public Open Space to consolidate an existing bushland reserve. Development approved April 2006
Clarence Heights, Clarence City Council,
Fenshaw Pty Ltd 2005-06
This is a large property (220ha) with extensive areas of open forest supporting a range of significant vegetation communities including blue gum forest, habitats for threatened species including swift parrots and several rare plants. The proposal will include over 300 lots affecting approximately 60 ha. Of the balance significant areas will be protected under conservation covenants and Public Open Space.
Opportunities will be taken to end degradation associated with rubbish dumping, vandalism, car and bike racing. The project will enhance the biodiversity values through integrated weed management, and through a comprehensive planting program.
Abt Railway DPEMP 1999
This Tasmanian tourism icon involved the redevelopment of an existing railway. Extensive environmental impact assessment of flora and fauna conservation values was undertaken. The DPEMP developed by Sinclair Knight Merz involved considerable input form NorthBarker to develop guidelines to protect significant vegetation types and minimise the risk of weed and plant pathogen introduction
Cradle Mountain Wilderness Resort 2000
Hazards Resort Federal Hotels 2003-05
This resort development included the renewal and extension of the town water and sewage systems for Coles Bay and involved the resort, 4 dams and water treatment. Coles Bay is a haven for rare plant species that occur in the surrounding reserves. Since the infrastructure development was situated in the same reserves many sensitive issues arose.
We minimised the impacts on threatened species by firstly recording them precisely and then careful placement of infrastructure avoided them. In return for the provision of a Permit to destroy species that could not be avoided Federal Hotels supported a thorough botanical and habitat survey of the adjacent conservation reserve.
This survey enhanced out knowledge of what the reserve contained enormously. Knowledge of what is in reserves is extremely important to the context of impact assessments.
Solid Waste and Waste Water Reuse Schemes
- Bell Bay Baseline Study for solid waste and waste water, TDR 1995
- Baretta Tip, Kingborough Council 1997
- Strahan Wastewater Treatment Plant, West Coast Council 2000
- Queenstown Refuse disposal Site Rehabilitation 2001
- Penguin Wastewater Pipeline 2001
- Latrobe, East Devonport, Carrick, Campbell Town, Evandale, Perth, Bothwell, Beauty Point Effluent Reuse Schemes 2001-2003
- Remount Solid Waste Disposal Site, Launceston CC 2001
- Clarence Waste Water Reuse Pipeline 2004
- Fibre Optic Cable River Crossings, Emu, Leven, Tamar, Derwent, Downer Engineering 2002
- Mt Montgomery, Mt Charter, Police Tasmania 2004
- Mobile Towers sites South Sister, Mt Bischoff, Constitution Hill, Lake Leake, Riverside, Middle Patriarch, Telstra 2004-2005
- Telecom trenches Cleveland, Sorell, Campania, Cambridge, Moulting Lagoon, Tasman Peninsula, Telstra 2005-2006
- Cable upgrades: Hobart Domain, Middleton to Garden Island Creek, Cygnet to Coads Hill, Mt Direction, Tinderbox, Tullah, Bridport, Mt George, Avoca, Buckland, Coles Bay, Riverside Tower, Telstra 2007-2012
- High voltage power lines Wayatinah to Poatina HEC 1993
- Basslink Tasmania section Four Mile Bluff to Bell Bay 2000-2001
- High voltage power lines Waddamana to Hobart Transend, 2005-2006
- High voltage power lines Tullah Transend 2006
- High voltage power lines - St Helens NBN, Remount to Rusell Plains Rd, Sorell, Howrah, Rokeby Rd zone substation, Midland Hwy (Cleveland link), Bridgenorth, Swansea, Newnham Hwy, Strahan and Bruny Is Neck, Aurora 2007-2012
- Biodiversity Risk Assessment of Transend operations 2011-2012
Oil and Gas
- Seismic surveys Midlands and Central Highlands, Great Southland minerals, 2001
- Gas pipeline rollout roll out, Powerco – all metropolitan areas 2004-2005
- Musselroe Wind Farm, Hydro Tasmania 2002
- Robbins Island, Pacific Hydro 2003
- Jims Plain , Wind Energy Developments 2003
- Cape Portland, Hydro Tasmania 2005
More than 150 separate road construction surveys primarily State road projects including:
- Tasman Highway – staged improvements and overtaking lanes Sorell to Orford 1991-1995
- Midland Highway - overtaking lanes 1992
- Bass Highway - new alignment Hagley to Burnie various projects 1991-1998
- Midland Highway - Granton to Bagdad – various projects 1995-2000
- Esk Main Rd 2003-2005
- Arthur Highway upgrades 2000-2002
- Bass Highway - Ulverstone bypass 2003-04
- Bass Highway - Sisters Hills 2005-06
- Brighton Bypass & Transport Hub 2009-2011
- Midland Hwy - Bagdad Bypass 2010-2011
- Tasmanian State Road Network 2010-2012
- Channel Hwy - Kingston Bypass 2010-2011
Rivercare and Catchment Plans
- Montagu and Welcome Rivers Catchment Plans, NW Tas 1998
- Jordan River Catchment Management Plan 1999
- Risdon Brook Catchment Mngt Plan 2001
- Grasstree Hill Rivulet – Risdon Vale Creek Rivercare Plan 2002
- Mountain River Rivercare Plan 2003
- Jordan River 2005
- Little Swanport Environmental Flows Research 2005
- NRM Coastal Values Mapping Project 2008
- Break O'day Coastal Lagoon Assessment 2009
- Knocklofty Reserve Vegetation Management Plan Review 2010
- Cascade Walking Track, South Hobart 2010
- Biodiversity of Wielangta Forest 2011
Fire Management Plans
Consulting to AVK Environmental Management:
- Nine Reserves Launceston City Council 1997,
- Wellington Park, Wellington Trust 1999
- Mt Faulkner Glenorchy 1999
- Knocklofty, Lambert Park/Skyline, Ridgeway/Waterworks Reserves, Hobart CC 2001
- Devonport Reserves 2004
- Meehan Range, Clarence CC 2006
Knocklofty Reserve Vegetation Management Plan, Hobart City Council 2001
This report developed with the Bushcare Group and Council has formed the basis for hundreds of thousands of dollars of funding through NHT and NRM projects to implement actions in alignment with the staged actions outlined in the plan.
Clarence Coastcare and Landcare Projects, various sites 2001
As a sub consultant to SKM Project Managers NBA identified actions and tasks for Green corps Groups and Conservation Volunteers to implement. Works included weed control, track rehabilitation, fencing, and tee planting.
Kangaroo Valley Bushcare Plan, HCC 2003
A five year staged action plan identifying tasks for local Bushcare Group, HCC bushland Unit and Contractors to implement. Works include weed control, track rehabilitation, fencing, and tree planting
Cornelian Bay Bushcare Plan, HCC 2006
Regional Studies / Strategic Plans
Meehan Range Management Plan contribution 1997
As sub consultants to Sinclair Knight Merz, Our task was to undertake detailed vegetation mapping and assessment of threatened species habitat. A sensitivity map was prepared that considered context condition and significance of vegetation types. This information could be used to inform conservation planning of the Meehan Range.
Meander Natural Resource Management Strategy 1999
Part of a multidisciplinary team coordinated by Inspiring Place this project considered a range of issues relating to natural resource management in the municipality Our work focused on developing improved vegetation mapping, identifying key projects for biodiversity conservation to direct expenditure of a devolved grant from Natural Heritage Trust. 83 key recommendations ere made
Biological Risk Assessment - Identification of critical habitats on state roads, DIER, 2000
This assessment filtered known environmental sites on the state Road asset identifying a sub -set of 15 key project areas that captured significant grassland habitats and threatened species sites. This assessment formed the basis of a grant application to World Wildlife Fund in cooperation with DPIWE Threatened Species Unit. A Access database was prepared that included baseline information, including transect data, site plans, and photo points to assist with the monitoring and conservation management of the project sites. The database is designed for monitoring change through five yearly reviews of the sites.
North West Industrial Area Environmental Planning, 2001
Part of a multidisciplinary team co-ordinated by Thompson & Brett to assess the values of an area near Port Latta under consideration as a future Industrial area. The work included detailed vegetation mapping, threatened species survey and targeted fauna survey.
Trevallyn State Reserve Vegetation Management Guidelines 2001
Detailed assessment of threatened species and vegetation conservation priorities of the reserve.
Eucalyptus ovata Conservation Management Strategy, Kingborough Council, 2003
An assessment and description of the range of habitats and vegetation types supporting this species. Existing mapping was verified and remapped. Priority sites and a methodology was developed to assist with planning assessment and conservation planning for this species in the municipality.
Habitat assessment and viability mapping of vegetation in Hobart 2004
All existing records of threatened species sites and habitats were collated and mapped for the municipality. Vegetation communities were verified and updated utilising ortho-rectified aerial photography. An innovative multi factorial model for attributing viability to sites was developed that could be used to evaluate the relative importance of one site of native vegetation against another and thus informing forward planning decisions. This project received State and National Planning Institute of Australia awards.
Coastal Mapping - Huon, Kingborough, Hobart, Glenorchy, Brighton, Glamorgan Spring Bay, NRM South 2005-2006
NRM North Coastal Mapping
These vegetation and habitat mapping projects stretched from Cockle Creek up the east coast to the east Tamar; over 1 800 km. The projects included detailed vegetation mapping of a coastal strip ands the collation of habitat data for all threatened fauna and migratory species known to occur along the coast. The condition of the vegetation and the location of environmental weeds were also determined. The same viability assessment as applied to the Hobart City Council project described above was also applied here.
- Technical Manual for Vegetation Monitoring, DPIWE 2001
- King Island Assessment of Impact of fencing on the health of vegetation remnants 2002.
- DIER vegetation condition and weed monitoring 2005.
- Defence Region Tasmania Monitoring Strategy 2005, 2010-2012
- Defence Region Tasmania Site Monitoring Plans and Fire monitoring Plan 2006, 2010-2012.
- Hobart International Airport - Grasslands EPBCA assessment, 2010
Forestry and Forest Conservation
- Screening Process for wood production coupes and botanical surveys of 51 coupes and six nature reserves, Surrey Hills and Woolnorth, North Forest Products 1995-1997
- Reserves for Eucalyptus brookeriana forest, PFRP, DPIWE 1998
- Selection Strategy for Reserves of Inland Eucalyptus amygdalina forest , CARSAG, DPIWE 1998
- Eucalyptus ovata forest and Woodland – Extent and Conservation Assessment, CARSAG, DPIWE 2002
- Forest Conservation Fund . The development of the Strategic Plan 2006
- Negotiator Private Forest Reserve Programme. 2000-2006
- King Island Weed Management Strategy 2003
- Bushcare Plans for various HCC Reserves that have included a significant component of weed management prescriptions
- Weed Mapping & Strategic Planning - Glenorchy City Council 2011
Department of Defence
- Fort Direction IER 2000, Biodiversity & Site Monitoring Plans 2010-2012
- Brighton Barracks IER 2000
- Stony Head Military Training Area Fire Mngt Plan 2001, Biodiversity & Site Monitoring Plans 2010-2012
- Pontville Small Arms Complex IER 2003, Biodiversity & Site Monitoring Plans 2010-2012
- Buckland Military Training Area Environmental Studies 2003, Biodiversity & Site Monitoring Plans 2010-2012